Parking Violations Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 Update

In support of COVID-19 precautions our hours of operation have been reduced to support the health of our staff and customers through social distancing. This may result in longer than usual wait times for customer service support. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this time. 

As of March 17, 2020, the main CPA office (620-9 Avenue SW) will be closed. The Impound Lot (400-39 Ave SEis actively enforcing physical distancing rules, requiring customers to remain 6 feet apart and limiting the number of people in our lobby at a time. This means customers may need to wait outside before gaining access to the lobby, so dress appropriately for the weather and have all necessary documentation with you to support an efficient visit. Please also note, the Impound Lot’s reduced hours of operation are 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 12noon until 4pm on weekends; please arrive early enough to ensure we have enough time to resolve your concerns.

The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority. Please do not enter the Impound Lot if you are sick. We are encouraging use of the myParking App rather than pay machines and want to remind customers to use online tools to pay tickets, submit appeals, manage residential parking permits and top up your paid parking account.

To promote the use of virtual ticket payments rather than customers visiting our office, we have suspended the $3 online fee for ticket payments.   

How and where can I pay my parking ticket?

There are several methods of payment:

Online on this website. Click on the Parking Offences tab and select Pay a Ticket from the drop-down menu. Please note that a service fee will be added to the cost of the ticket.

By mail - Pay by cheque or money order; do not send cash in the mail. Mail to: The City of Calgary, PO Box 2580 Station M, Calgary, AB T2P 2W9

In person - Pay by cash, debit card, cheque or money order at The City of Calgary Cashiers, 3rd Floor, Municipal Bldg, 800 Macleod Trail S. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. OR Calgary Parking Authority (CPA) Head Office - 620 9th Ave SW 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Pay by cheque or money order at 323 - 7th Ave SE or 801-3rd St SE (Night Depository).

What happens if I don't pay my parking ticket?

Parking tickets are issued to the owner of a vehicle. If a parking ticket is not paid, the vehicle owner will receive a reminder notice followed by a 'Violation Ticket'. Options listed on the back of the violation ticket include an opportunity to present mitigating circumstances to the court. Do not ignore the court appearance date on the ticket, as this would result in a conviction in Provincial Traffic Court and additional court fees would apply.

In addition, the vehicle owner will be unable to renew the vehicle registration until all outstanding fines are paid.

What can I do if I think my parking ticket was issued incorrectly?

Request an administrative review with the Parking Enforcement Division. Complete a review form and submit it directly online, or in person at the Calgary Parking Authority office. The administrative review process is a service that is only able to address officer error, inadequate signage or data entry errors. Approximately 10 percent of tags are appealed to CPA. Note: If you are appealing for compassionate reasons, the appeal will need to be addressed through the court system.

Do I get demerit points against my operator's licence for parking tickets?

No, parking violations do not result in demerit points against your licence.

Who can issue a parking ticket?

Parking tickets can only be issued by a Peace Officer; this includes Police Officers, Special Constables and Bylaw Enforcement Officers.

Can my parking ticket be withdrawn if I received it while parking for reasons involving health, medical or other compassionate circumstances?

CPA does not have the authority to consider compassionate or mitigating circumstances for an appealed tag. These appeals must be presented to Provincial Court.

Why is the ticket for parking at a handicapped sign without a placard or handicapped licence plate so high?

The full fine of $300 reflects the seriousness of this infraction. It may be impossible for a person with a disability to enter a building if there is no parking close to the entrance.

Where does the money from parking fines go?

CPA is required to turn 100% of net revenue generated from parking tickets to The City of Calgary's general fund. This money is used by The City in the interests of all taxpayers.

When paying my parking ticket online, why is there a $3 service fee?

The $3 fee is considered a "convenience fee" and it offers the benefit of saving time and money to customers who choose to use it. Both time and money are saved by meeting the early payment period, avoiding travel and parking costs, and avoiding bank charges for use of a cheque (if applicable).

Charges cover the costs of a secured web payment portal that is in compliance with Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards, costs of licensing, audit and site maintenance. Charging per transaction is also in accordance with City Council's 'user-pay' policy where the costs of this premium service are recovered from those who choose to use that particular service.

We believe that our current fee of $3.00 (including GST) is reasonable and competitive when compared to other online purchases that include 'handling' or administrative charges.

What if I don't want to pay the $3 security fee on top of my parking ticket?

We understand that not all customers want to pay an additional $3 on top of their parking ticket. We recommend you choose another method of payment that is more convenient for you. See for all of your payment options.

How do I request assistance from Enforcement regarding a car that I think may be illegally parked?

Please report illegally parked vehicles to our Customer Solutions Centre at 403-537-7100, option 2. Dispatch operators monitor this line on a 24/7 basis and are able to dispatch an officer to investigate. Please note that response times will vary depending on the time and location.