RPP Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 Update

In support of COVID-19 precautions our hours of operation have been reduced to support the health of our staff and customers through social distancing. This may result in longer than usual wait times for customer service support. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this time. 

As of March 17, 2020, the main CPA office (620-9 Avenue SW) will be closed. The Impound Lot (400-39 Ave SEis actively enforcing physical distancing rules, requiring customers to remain 6 feet apart and limiting the number of people in our lobby at a time. This means customers may need to wait outside before gaining access to the lobby, so dress appropriately for the weather and have all necessary documentation with you to support an efficient visit. Please also note, the Impound Lot’s reduced hours of operation are 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 12noon until 4pm on weekends; please arrive early enough to ensure we have enough time to resolve your concerns.

The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority. Please do not enter the Impound Lot if you are sick. We are encouraging use of the myParking App rather than pay machines and want to remind customers to use online tools to pay tickets, submit appeals, manage residential parking permits and top up your paid parking account.

To promote the use of virtual ticket payments rather than customers visiting our office, we have suspended the $3 online fee for ticket payments.   

Why do I need a parking permit to park on the street in my area?

Communities may ask for residential parking restrictions to protect their communities from excessive parking in the area. The residents of the community petition through Traffic Operations to have their area restricted. City Council must approve the creation of new zones. If you are a resident in the area you must then display your parking permits to park on the affected streets. The Calgary Parking Authority issues over 30,000 residential parking permits each year.

Can I get a temporary residential parking permit until I am able to change my out-of-province registration?

A three-month temporary permit is available while you change your address and registration. You must provide a current out-of-province registration and official proof-of-residence in Calgary within the required parking zone. Handwritten receipts or letters are not accepted. To apply for a permit please go to https://permits.calgaryparking.com

When do I renew my residential permit?

Permits must be renewed every two years. We will send you an email reminder when your permit is up for renewal. 

Can my visitors park in a residential parking permit zone?

Visitor permits are valid within the block of the address listed on the permit. These permits are not valid in ParkPlus zones or where other parking restrictions apply.

What should I do with the residential parking permit if I move from the area?

Please log into your online account and cancel your permit.

What should I do with the residential parking permit if I sell my vehicle?

Please cancel your digital permit. If you are purchasing another vehicle, you may obtain a permit for the new vehicle with the updated vehicle registration, please go online to https://cpa.permit.calgaryparking.com/ to apply for a new permit.

Can I use residential parking and visitor permits in ParkPlus zones or in restricted parking zones?

No; the residential parking permits are not valid in ParkPlus zones, in No Stopping zones, or other restricted areas such as loading zones, handicap zones or school no parking areas.

Why can't I get visitor permits for my apartment?

Visitor permits will not be issued for apartment buildings because on-street spaces are limited and will not accommodate the large number of stalls required for each individual apartment. Issuing visitor permits to each apartment would create the same parking problems the permit is trying to solve.


You cannot sell, trade, give away or allow any person to use your permit. This is in accordance with City of Calgary Bylaw #26M96.